A Christmas classic, Stollen is the perfect sweet treat to offer visiting guests throughout advent
A traditional German bread, this sweet loaf is filled with fruits, nuts and marzipan. Bake a festive Stollen to enjoy with your mid-morning cuppa throughout the holiday season, or to wrap up and put into a hamper of delectable treats for a thoughtful Christmas gift.
Prep time: 50 minutes (plus 2-2½ hours proving)
Baking time: 1 hour
500g strong white flour
200g unsalted butter, melted
60g fresh yeast
100g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground cinnamon
50g chopped almonds
50g chopped walnuts
80g natural glace cherries, chopped
120g mixed dried peel
2 tbsp icing sugar
- Gently heat the milk and add the yeast, stirring until the yeast has dissolved and the mixture is creamy.
- Add melted butter to the yeast mixture and stir in.
- Combine the flour, sugar, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, almond extract and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture and knead well until you are left with a smooth dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in the sultanas, cherries, raisins, peel, almonds and walnuts.
- Lightly oil the bowl you were using and return the dough to the bowl, turning it to coat it in the oil. Cover with cling film or a damp cloth and leave to rise, in a warm place, until it has doubled in size – this will take around and hour to an hour and a half.
- Turn the dough out once it has risen and knead again. Roll the dough into a rectangle.
- Roll the marzipan into a rectangle that is just slightly smaller than the dough. Place the marzipan on top of the dough and roll to fully encase the marzipan.
- Place the dough onto a lined baking sheet, cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise again for another hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190˚c / gas 5 and bake for around an hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Dust with icing sugar and serve either warm or fully cooled with a cup of Miles Chai tea or Miles Christmas Coffee.
We'd love to see photos of you enjoying a moment with Miles and trying out this recipe! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and share your pictures with the #momentswithMiles. Happy baking!
Share a moment with friends