Coffee coated roast beef
Try something different for your Sunday roast…
A twist on the classic roast beef, the coffee rub that coats the beef in this recipe adds a rich, earthy flavour to the meat. Slice thinly and serve with delicious roasties.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
1.5kg roasting joint of beef (top rump, topside or silverside)
1 tsp Italian Espresso Ground Coffee
2 tsp light brown sugar
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp salt
- Remove the beef from the fridge a couple of hours before you want to cook to allow it to reach room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚c / gas mark 8 and line a baking tray with foil.
- Mix together the ground coffee, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Using your hands, cover the beef joint in the rub. Place the beef on the prepared tray.
- Roast the beef for 25 minutes per 500g (for medium). After the first 20 minutes, turn the oven temperature down to 180˚c / gas mark 6.
- Check the centre of the beef with a thermometer. When it reaches 60˚c (for medium) remove it from the oven and leave to rest under a clean sheet of foil for 20 minutes.
- Serve the beef with roast potatoes or mash and a selection of vegetables.
Share a moment with friends