Meringue topped chocolate cake
A dessert that will dazzle
Rich, sticky chocolate cake topped with fluffy, marshmallowy meringue, this dessert is perfect for serving over the Christmas period. Dust with a sprinkling of edible shimmer at the end for a fabulously festive finish!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 50 minutes – 1 hour 10 minutes
Serves: 8 – 10
250g dark chocolate, chopped
180g unsalted butter, softened
6 medium eggs
100g light brown sugar
220g caster sugar
40g ground almonds
3 tbsp cornflour
25g Miles Heavenly Hot Chocolate
50g plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Miles Colombian Ground Coffee, made in a cafetiere
- Preheat the oven to 180˚c, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 9-inch cake tin with baking paper.
- Gently melt the butter and dark chocolate in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Stir to melt in and leave to cool slightly.
- Separate four of the eggs and put the egg whites to one side.
- Place the egg yolks, the additional two whole eggs, brown sugar and coffee into a large bowl and whisk together, using an electric whisk, for 3-5 minutes until the mixture is pale and thick.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture, ground almonds, plain flour and baking powder to the bowl, gently folding with a spoon to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin and bake for 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
- Increase the oven temperature to 180˚c, gas 5.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the four egg whites, using an electric whisk, until soft peaks form. Keep whisking while adding the caster sugar, a tablespoon at a time.
- Add the vinegar and whisk for a further two minutes, until the meringue is thick and glossy.
- Add the hot chocolate powder and cornflour and gently fold to combine.
- Spoon the meringue mixture on top of the cake, spreading it evenly. Don’t worry about making the top of the meringue smooth; peaks will go crisp while the middle will remain gooey.
- Place the cake back in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the meringue has just started to brown and go crisp on top.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes. Then run a knife around the inside edge of the tin to loosen the meringue before taking the whole cake out of the tin.
- Leave the cake to cool to room temperature, then place it in the fridge for around 2 hours and add edible shimmer before serving.
We'd love to see photos of you enjoying a moment with Miles and trying out this recipe! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and share your pictures with the #MomentswithMiles. Happy baking!
Share a moment with friends