VE celebration cake
A cake recipe fit for a VE Day celebration…
This recipe is a wartime inspired cake recipe. This cake would have been enjoyed when food rationing would have still be in place, after world war two, and eggs were hard to come by. Try it out in celebration of the 75 anniversary of Victory in Europe Day on the 8thMay…
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 50 minutes
Serves: 8 - 10
285g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ pint brewed Miles West Country Original Tea
85g caster sugar
1 tsp allspice
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180˚c Grease and line a 7-inch cake tin.
- Put the sugar and margarine in a saucepan and gently heat until melted.
- Pour the tea and dried fruit into the saucepan, simmer for a couple of minutes to allow the fruits to soak up some of the liquid, then set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, spice and salt and set to one side.
- Once the liquid has cooled, pour into the bowl and combine with the dry ingredients until you have a smooth cake batter.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 50 minutes, until cooked through and a clean knife or skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before completely cooling on a wire rack.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea.
We'd love to see photos of you enjoying a moment with Miles and trying out this recipe! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and share your pictures with the #momentswithMiles. Happy baking!
Share a moment with friends