Earl Grey and Lemon Loaf Cake Recipe
The perfect accompaniment to your afternoon cup of tea
Fragrant Earl Grey and zesty lemon, it’s a proven winning combination. Serve a slice of this homemade loaf cake to guests that have popped round for a visit, with a fresh pot of Miles Earl Grey tea or West Country Original tea. The only downside is they might ask for a second slice!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
For the cake:
200g salted butter
200g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
Zest of three lemons
5 Miles Earl Grey teabags
50 ml milk
225g self-raising flour
2 tbsp lemon curd
For the drizzle:
Juice of 2 lemons
85g granulated sugar
5 white sugar cubes, crushed
Handful of blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 150˚c/ gas 3. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan and add the tea bags. As the milk reaches boiling point, remove it from the heat and allow the tea to steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove the teabags and leave the milk to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and lemon zest (keeping some back to decorate) until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk the eggs and add them to the cooled milk.
- Gradually add half of the eggs to the butter, a little at a time, beating with a wooden spoon to combine. Add a heaped spoonful of the flour to the mixture and fold in. Repeat for the remaining eggs.
- Sieve in half of the flour and gently fold in with a metal spoon. Repeat for the rest of the flour.
- Finally add the lemon curd, gently folding in until thoroughly combined. Be careful not to over mix and knock the air out of the cake batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the loaf tin and bake in the middle of the oven for around 45 minutes, until it has a golden colour and has risen. To check if the cake is ready to come out of the oven, insert a clear knife into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is cooked.
- Leave the cake to cool on a wire rack and make the drizzle.
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice with the granulated sugar and sugar cubes.
- Use a cocktail stick or a skewer to make small holes in the top of the cake and spoon over the lemon sugar. Allow the liquid to soak in for 10 minutes before serving.
- Decorate with the remaining lemon zest, blueberries and wedges of lemon.
- Serve with a freshly brewed cup of Miles Earl Grey Tea and relax!
We'd love to see photos of you enjoying a moment with Miles and trying out this recipe! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and share your pictures with the #momentswithMiles. Happy baking! ☕
Share a moment with friends