English Afternoon Tea Scones
Can you call yourself British if you don’t indulge in a cream tea every summer? But which goes on first cream or Jam?
It’s an age old debate – along with how your correctly pronounce scone – but whether you top your scone with cream first followed by a dollop of jam or spread your jam first and finish the scone with cream, these scones are flavoured with tea and are sure to leave you wanting a second!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: Makes 12 scones
450g Self-raising Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
75g Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
50g Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar
2 Medium Eggs
225ml Whole Milk
4 West County Original Tea Bags
Strawberry Jam and Clotted Cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220˚c/200˚c fan/gas mark 7.
- Lightly grease two baking trays.
- Place the flour and baking powder into a bowl, add the butter and rub together using your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Then, still using your fingers, add the sugar.
- Gently heat the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the tea bags before taking the pan off of the heat. Allow the flavour to infuse for 5 minutes before squeezing and removing. Leave the milk to cool.
- Beat the eggs and add to the cooled milk.
- Gradually add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients, (keeping back two tablespoons of the liquid for glazing later on) combining with your fingers until it forms a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out with a rolling pin until 1-2cm thick. Stamp out circles in the dough using a fluted cutter to create your scones.
- Place the scones on the baking tray and glaze the tops with the remaining milk mixture using a pastry brush.
- Bake in the over for 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Serve the scones with jam, clotted cream and a cup of Miles West Country Original tea or Miles Earl Grey.
We'd love to see photos of you enjoying a moment with Miles and trying out this recipe! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and share your pictures with the #momentswithMiles. Happy baking! ☕
Share a moment with friends