Coffee and Walnut Cake Recipe
Sweet, rich and luxurious, coffee cake is a firm favourite in the Miles office!
National coffee cake day falls in the first week of April, so what better reason to indulge in a homemade piece of coffee cake? This recipe is super easy, made using Miles Colombian Coffee, and is perfect for an afternoon treat.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
For the sponge:
170g butter, softened
170g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
170g self raising flour
1½ tsp baking powder
3 tbsp Miles Colombian Ground Coffee, made in a cafetiere
For the buttercream:
100g butter, softened
225g icing sugar
2½ tbsp Miles Colombian Ground Coffee, made in a cafetiere
For the glace icing:
200g icing sugar
1½ tbsp Miles Colombian Ground Coffee, made in a cafetiere
Walnuts to decorate
- Grease three 8” sandwich tins and preheat the oven to 180˚c/gas mark 4.
- Make the coffee in a cafetiere, using2 tbsp Miles Colombian Ground Coffee and 300ml water
- Add the softened butter and caster sugar to a large bowl and mix together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs and pour into the butter mixture, a little at a time, mixing well.
- Sift in half the flour and fold into the mixture using a metal spoon. Fold in the second half of the flour and the baking powder.
- Gently fold 3 tbsp of the coffee into the mixture.
- Divide the mixture equally between the three sandwich tins and cook for 30 minutes or until golden on the top and you can put a skewer into the centre and it comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the tins and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- While the cakes are cooling mix together the softened butter and icing sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the coffee and whisk in.
- Once the cakes are cooled spread the buttercream in between each layer as you stack the sponges.
- Whisk together the remaining icing sugar and coffee to make the glace icing.
- Cover the top of the cake with the coffee glace icing to decorate, finishing with walnuts on the top.
- Enjoy with a hot cup of freshly made Miles coffee – delish
We'd love to see photos of you enjoying a moment with Miles and trying out this recipe! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and share your pictures with the #momentswithMiles. Happy baking! ☕
Share a moment with friends